Saturday, February 4, 2012

More Science and an Announcement

First of all, I apologize if your child incessantly demands vinegar and baking soda all weekend. Our science lesson on Friday was about reactions, so of course we had to try that one a couple of times.  

First, we made a solution with baking soda and water, and then we predicted what would happen when we added vinegar.  After all the "explosions", we recorded the results in our science journals.  



Another activity we've been enjoying this month is sight word Candy Land.  I happened to have an extra Candy Land set, so I put high frequency words from our reading series on the cards.  If the child can read the word, they get to move to that color on the board. It's been a real hit. 


Last, I would like to officially announce that I will no longer be teaching first grade after this year.  Mrs.  Schulz (our preschool director) is retiring at the end of the year, and I was selected by the Board of Education to become the new preschool director.  They wanted to get someone in place now, since registration has begun and prospective families for next year will want to know who their child's teacher will be.  Don't worry, though - my first graders have my full attention as long as I'm their teacher!

I really appreciate all the support I have already received. St. Matthew has the most wonderful families. I feel very blessed to be here!


No comments:

Post a Comment